Thursday, December 16, 2010

Jenny Kim

The high school I attended was a private catholic institution in which most of the kids were from one of the two catholic middle schools in town. I, however, had attended public from kindergarten through eighth grade. This meant all my best friends were going to be learning at a different location for their high school education and I would be headed to a place where I would be the new kid.

In the first week of high school, I meet many new friends. One of which was Jenny Kim. Jenny entered our high school with much more difficult circumstances than me. She was an exchange student from South Korea and came to the United States for her education. Her English was exceptional and she was one of the sweetest people I had ever met. Seeing as we both didn't know too many people in our grade, we bonded quickly. Since we were in both the honors program, almost all of our classes were together and it was in these that I we got to talk most. Jenny was my first friend that had come from a different country and I enjoyed asking her to say things in Korean and ask about different aspects of her culture.

Over our four high school years, Jenny became one of the most well like people on campus. She fit in with everyone else despite coming from a different country. By the time graduation came around, it was a sure thing that she would be our valedictorian. She was excellent in all subjects. What was most impressive about this was her ability to outdo many of her peers in English which was not her first language. Jenny now is back in South Korea going to school. She is someone I have been blessed to meet and be able to call a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment